Friday, October 7, 2022

Grief Is The Price You Pay For Love

 It’s been a while since my last post. So much has happened, some good and some truly awful. With broken hearts we farewelled Nicks dad who lost his battle with cancer. It has been very hard to stay on track and prioritise things when for us, family is everything. Things like preparing the house and our belongings for uplift just don’t seem important. Leaving feels impossible and selfish.  Nicks dad was a very private man who was not a fan of social media. I hope he doesn’t mind me posting here how much he will be missed.  He was a father figure to me for nearly 30 years and losing him is felt deeply. Not just by Nick and I but by everyone who knew him. I honour him today, and always. 



30 years ago on your  lounge room  floor

I spilt my port then asked for more

You judged me not but poured me more

And the stain remains on the lounge room floor!

I knew right then we would hit it off

The young whipper snapper and the English toff

I was nervous as hell if truth to be told 

And I was honoured to become one of the fold

A father figure for so many years 

You regaled me with stories of your golden years

I would listen with wonder to all of your tales

On the edge of my seat, would he prevail? 

But you always did, as the good guys win

Tell me another, let’s  pour a gin! 

Stories aplenty, they came thick and fast

I would sit there enthralled of memories  past 

A young man your prime, you met the love of your life

And decided you wanted to make her your wife

You knocked on her door, with hope in your heart

And won over her love, till death do you part

A shining example of commitment  and love

Your lessons shine on while you watch from above 

From the streets of London to far off shores

Your adventures were awesome and left me wanting for more

You served with such honour of which we were proud 

But I knew to never say it out loud

Humble as always, you’d say with a smile 

“Let’s keep it for us, at least for a while”

But I know how you blocked the Suez Canal

How you jumped out of planes as if banal

How you flew into the desert, barren and bare 

And landed on the only tree living peacefully there 

How Ronnie and Reggie thought they had  won

But their ashtrays are now with your dutiful sons. 

With your red beret atop of your head 

A man of courage, the foe should dread

But there was more to you than the hardened  Bobby

To my kids you were an amazing Poppy

Playing trains on the floor or pushing the swing

Feeding ducks in the park was their favourite thing

Your kind gentle ways will stay with them

As a true example of a proper gentleman 

It’s hard to believe you are no longer here

A force larger than life and one held so dear

I honour your memory today and always 

You will live in my heart for the rest of my days

No comments:

Post a Comment