Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Boxes




There is something very strange about packing up your life is almost like a stock take of not only your current possessions but a reality check on what means a lot and what is just “stuff”. As hard as it is to pack up your life I have found  it a fantastic opportunity to cleanse and donate. Over the years we have collected so much and this has been the perfect opportunity to really look at what we have. What do we need? What can I live without? What can be better served by donating to others who will benefit from it more than it being stored in a cupboard that I will rarely use?  Apart from these altruistic sentiments it’s also a really good time to just throw out the stuff that we have just stored away because “we might need it one day”. I started out conservatively .By the end of it, I was very much, nope, it’s gone! I remember coming back from our last posting and thinking “what the hell was I thinking keeping this!” With this in mind I was pretty ruthless. 

So, can’t tell a lie, when you stand there and some stranger says sign here and you confirm that your life is enclosed in 100 boxes,  it’s a little confronting. My kids will attest to the fact my favorite saying is “rewrite the narrative”. My life is not enclosed in 100 boxes. My possessions are. My life is travelling with me. My amazing husband and children. Part of my life will remain with my friends and family who are not only in Australia but all over the world. As bizarre as it is too see all of your worldly possessions in the back of a truck it has had also served as a reminder to me that that if I were never to see them again I’d be ok. My family and memories are worth more than my possessions. (It’s still weird though!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment